tiistai 29. maaliskuuta 2016

From a design to a costume - short version

 Once I get around to it, I will write in depth about the aspects you should consider when designing and making a samba costume. For now, here is a short version of it, written and pictured around our childrens group´s costume for the grand opening of our new samba school premises in October 2015.

Samba Carioca´s colours are white and blue, so the costume followed those colours.

Also, as we had only a couple of weeks from start to finish and had many beginners (within the parents ;) there was no time for welding.



This is the original sketch. I wanted a very fresh look for the kids and drew a striped skirt. We decided to have a basic white shirt which could be easily bought so that the only thing that needed sewing was the skirt. And then with the addition of some silk flowers, sequin trim and marabou boa...

Only I could not find a striped fabric. So I went for a checkered blue-white instead.




A circle skirt was created.

The goodie bags I gathered for all of the kids (or their parents). :)

The head piece was just a piece of sequin fabric onto where some flowers and marabou trim were attached.




A belt was sewn and flowers and ball garland was attached. (By the way, any idea where on eBay you can find ball trim / ball garland / pearl trim or whatever you want to call it. The only version I have been able to find is this one with not that many pearls... All tips are welcome! I know it can be bought from Plumas e Cia for example, but well, for the prices, I do prefer eBay. :)

Here´s the skirt.


The final touches in the sleeves (attached with safety pins).


The head piece from the back.

And a little extra I glued together with the help of red wine, attached to the skirt.



And finally, at the grand opening, performing:


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti